According to Feng Shui, every object (including its colors, placement, shapes, and sizes) counts in our spaces and can influence us, either positively or negatively.
In Feng Shui, we focus on transforming this space to produce a continuous flow of positive energy.
A window is one of the objects that can affect your life! It is seen as “the eyes” of the house, and in connection with your life, it shows your propensity to see the happenings of your life clearly.
If you want to create good Feng Shui in your house, you can begin with your windows.
You can apply some of the Feng Shui principles to your windows. In this blog, you will learn more about how to Feng Shui your window.
We provide How To Feng Shui Window useful tips that can turn the vibes of your living space around through your windows.
Table of Contents
Importance Of Light In Feng Shui
Naturally, light is a vital force in life. Without light, you will continue to grumble in darkness, and the possibility of hitting an obstacle is high. Therefore, it takes light to know where you are going and also to see clearly.
In Feng Shui, light is also indispensable. Light is a symbol of the fire element, which is one of the five elements in Feng Shui, and helps to create a house favorable to balanced energy.
It enhances the energy and life force of the home.
Besides, light rejuvenates your life energy. A house with no light or little light is will be filled with negative and stagnant energy called Yin.
The Symbolism Of Window In Feng Shui
A window is very symbolic in Feng Shui. The window symbolizes the eyes of the house and your capacity to see clearly, without hindrance.
A window is an object that helps you to see the happenings of your life correctly. Hence it is important to have neat and unhindered windows.
Your windows serve as a medium through which your home receives natural light (sunlight), which enhances the brightness and vibrancy of your home.
Without windows, your living space will become dark and saturated with a gloomy atmosphere.
The window also represents your career potential and opportunities in Feng Shui.
Basic Feng Shui Principles Of Window Design In Feng Shui
Window design is important and must follow certain Feng Shui principles. Therefore, it is necessary to get the right shape, size, color, and placement for your windows.
Feng Shui Window Colors
While picking window colors, take into account the Bagua of your home in which the windows are located. Doing this will enhance the feng shui of your home.
Check the table below to know the window colors based on the Bagua of your home.
|Name and Fame||Shades of red|
|Career||Black /Navy Shades|
|Children and, Creativity||White / Metallic|
|Helpful People & Travel||Gray|
|Health||Earth Tones, Yellow, Orange, or Brown|
Go for different colors for the window frame and wall that vividly portray the scenery of your home and create a warm and nature-friendly painting that will help you to attract vigor and creativity.
Feng Shui Window Material
Feng Shui window materials are used to beautify our windows. They are also known as window treatments. We have four major types such as curtains, drapes, shades, and blinds.
Feng Shui appreciates being natural and when it comes to choosing curtains:
- Choose curtains produced from natural fabric such as cotton and silk. For blinds, choose blinds produced from environmentally friendly materials such as wood and bamboo.
- Also, for curtain rods, you can use the ones produced from wood or metal.
Feng Shui Window Shapes (Round, Square, Rectangle)
We have different window shapes such as:
1. Round/Arched Window
The round window is mostly found in churches and is perfect for bedrooms and recreational spaces too. This type of shape invokes feelings of serenity and peace.
2. Square Window
This type of window makes people a sense of excitement and positivity, thus ideal for restaurants and workplaces. Square windows can also be used for residential buildings. Mix it up with a round window.
3. Triangular Windows
This shape of the window is notable for its sharpness and destructiveness; therefore, it should not be used for homes.
Feng Shui Window Coverings
Feng Shui window coverings are those that:
- Are produced from natural materials such as cotton and silk.
- Helps to harmonize the interior decor and produce a complementary look.
- Follows the colors that harmonize with the energy in the house. For example, green and pink colors are ideal for bedrooms, as they initiate romantic and peaceful vibes.
- Red is an outstanding color for a dining room because it energizes.
- Uplifting colors such as orange and yellow are suitable for a playroom; while purple connotes wealth, royalty, and authority and aids spirituality.
- Pick a color based on the kind of energy you want to induce into a specific place.
- Are lengthy to touch the floor of your living spaces. Using curtains that are long help to create additional safety from negative energy. Go for this type no matter the height of your windows.
Window curtain is surely regarded as one of the most auspicious and valuable additions to Feng Shui.
One of the main benefits of window curtains is providing privacy and regulating the amount of natural light in your rooms. Picking the correct colors and materials that matter according to Feng Shui can improve your career, wealth, health, and relationship.
There are five elements in Feng Shui: wood, metal, water, fire, and earth. Each of these elements has corresponding colors, as listed in the table below.
|Fire||Red and purple shades|
|Earth||Yellow, Brownish tones|
|Metal||Grey, white, beige, silver|
|Water||Blue or black|
If you belong to any of these elements, select the colors of the element for your window curtains. However, you need to follow these common rules while applying the color:
- Avoid excess red or black in your primary tones. Excess red can cause adverse effects because of its vibrancy, while too much black can attract depression (read, feng shui for depression) and result in a bad mood.
- Let the color of your curtains harmonizes with your walls and ceiling. In Feng Shui, the ceiling symbolizes heaven while the floor represents the earth.
- Don’t use pink curtains in the bedroom. Although pink is known for creating romantic vibes, the color can attract external love into your relationship, and influence it negatively, thereby bringing disagreement with your partner.
- Go for curtains made with soft colors like oyster grey and light blue which are calm.
- Avoid using colors that are too bright for your bedroom.
Window blinds are part of the home furnishing accessories that are essential. They play an important role in enhancing the aesthetic and efficiency of the house.
They allow us to control natural light and privacy based on our choices.
Like window curtains, you can choose a favorable color according to the five elements of Feng Shui outlined above section in the table:
Shades are different from curtains and blinds because of their softness and usually consist of materials placed on a steady reel to hide a huge swath of a window opening.
It is installed tightly into the window which stacks smartly at the top. According to Feng Shui, choose window shades with warm colors.
How To Feng Shui Window Placement And Directions
According to Feng Shui, the best direction to place windows is in the east direction of your home. The window facing east receives enough natural light.
And this is because the sun rises in the east and it triggers vigor, energy, and optimism, therefore the windows in the east direction will allow penetration of energy and liveliness that will attract good luck to you.
Other directions are favorable also.
For example, the windows facing the south and southeast directions will enjoy warmness during winter and coolness in summer, which helps your well-being.
The only direction considered unfavorable for window placement is the north direction. This direction is hostile because of the kind of energy it receives.
In Feng Shui, this direction is believed to receive Yin energy which is inactive, hurtful, and slow.
Likewise, the windows facing northeast and southwest prevent adequate penetration of sunshine and have an inconsequential impact on Feng Shui.
How To Feng Shui Your Windows: Basic Rules
In Feng Shui, you can utilize these tips for the design of your windows:
1. Design Pattern: Design your window in such a way it will open outward and not inward, unlike doors.
2. The Alignment: Ensure the rear window does not align with the front door. A window-to-door alignment can facilitate the escape of the positive energy flowing inside the house quickly.
3. The Balance: To prevent the entry of negative energy, we recommend in Feng Shui to hang wind chimes or planters on your windows. However, embarking on de-cluttering your space first and fixing various structural flaws in your house might hinder the flow of life energy.
4. The Furniture: Do not place your furniture under the windows because it induces a feeling of susceptibility and defenselessness.
5. Window Number: Design your windows based on factors such as lighting and interior ventilation. Avoid having more than three windows in a row.
When you have a lot of windows, it can result in an inflow of breeze, which will annihilate the serene energy field and bring about tension, a frantic house, and disagreement in the family.
Feng Shui Windows In Bedroom
To enjoy the ultimate rest in your bedroom, you can Feng Shui your bedroom windows this way.
- Clean your bedroom windows regularly.
- Remove your bed from under the window. This is not a command position. This position will make you feel vulnerable while sleeping.
- The best window design for a bedroom is a casement. It offers awesome energy effectiveness for your bedroom.
- Also, read How to feng shui a bed under a window.
Window Facing Door Feng Shui Remedies
A window that faces the door is a bad Feng Shui because it will not able to retain the life force (Qi) inside resulting in stagnant energy and ill luck.
The best remedies for a window that faces the door in Feng Shui include:
- You can avert the loss of positive energy from your home by using beautiful garlands or draped curtains.
- Another remedy is to place tall natural plants between the door and windows to obstruct the entry of positive energy. You can also hang decorative baskets containing plants.
- You can also use window coverings there.
Windows In Living Room Rules
The living room is an important part of your house, and to make it good Feng Shui, you must follow these rules:
- Do not arrange your furniture, especially sofas, and chairs with their back against a window.
- According to Feng Shui, this arrangement will make you feel vulnerable.
- Positioning the back of your sofa or chair against a window will also obstruct the circulation of energy within your living space.
- This placement will also prevent you, your family or visitors to have a proper view of life outside the window.
Watch Out Front Door
- Ensure the front door is accessible and can be viewed easily while sitting on chairs or a sofa.
- This positioning will allow you to see anyone that enters the house through the front door.
- So, make certain that every seat in your living room has a complete view of the main door.
Windows Behind Desk: Feng Shui Remedies
According to Feng Shui, the cures to windows behind desks include:
- You can place a huge decorative plant at the front of the window.
- A big crystal can also be hung on the window for protection.
- You can also draw down the window shade if you are seating at the desk.
Window Treatments In Feng Shui
Window treatments serve as a cover or alteration of a window, usually intending to improve the aesthetics of the windows and your living spaces. Some of the common types of window treatments are:
According to Feng Shui, choose your window treatments based on colors. The color pattern of your spaces should synchronize well with the furnishings and their respective Bagua zones.
In addition, ensure your window treatments are cleaned and neat. Cleaning your window treatments will satiate your spaces with fresh and untainted positive energy.
Window Maintenance Common Mistakes
Some common mistakes committed while performing window maintenance include:
- Utilizing the wrong cleaning spray is another common mistake people make. When you use the wrong cleaner, it can affect the look of your windows by causing streaks.
- Not dusting earlier before starting maintenance is one of the common mistakes. One way to make sure your windows are cleaned, start by dusting off the window.
- Utilizing dirty and cleaning materials that are inexpensive. When you use low-quality tools and materials, you will always get unimpressive results.
- If you spray excess liquid for cleaning your windows can cause streaks, thereby deforming the attractiveness of your windows.
Feng Shui Window Treatment For Kitchen
The window treatments for the kitchen will elevate the settings of your kitchen as well as provide privacy. Use window treatment that will act as a warm accent in your kitchen and help you control sunlight.
You can make use of roller shades or cellular shades produced from lucid materials. You can also use sheer fabric curtains to decorate your kitchen.
Windows are an important component of your living space and can determine the kind of energy that flows into your home.
While there are many window treatments, try to test the ones that suit your taste and will enhance the aesthetics of your windows. Following the tips above can enhance the vibes in your home.
Feng Shui is a well-researched combination of art and science based on neuroscience principles. Bhawana Rathore is a passionate Feng Shui practitioner. She writes at FengShuitricks.com and helps people to enhance and balance their lives by sharing Feng Shui-related information on FengshuiTricks and YouTube Channel. Check out more. If you find the information useful, you can buy me a coffee here.