Heard a lot about Feng Shui, but am unsure about whether it actually works? Read here to learn if is Feng Shui real and effective.
Most of us have often heard about Feng Shui, but some still have their doubts about whether it is real or if it works or not. So, in essence, what really is Feng Shui?
Feng Shui is rooted in the belief that there is a continuous energy flow between humans and their surroundings. It started in China around 6000 years ago and has since been used in many parts of the world.
The name comes from the Chinese symbols of wind and water. Feng Shui experts apply Feng Shui principles to houses, offices, and gardens. The idea is that proper configuration of these can help with maximizing the flow of energy in the surroundings.
While all of these facts are mostly known about Feng Shui, some people still wonder if Feng Shui is real and effective?
The truth is that Feng Shui is indeed a science that has proven to be very effective. People who apply Feng Shui to their spaces vouch for its effectiveness.
Feng Shui is all about creating a positive vibe in a space. It takes around three months or less for you to see Feng Shui’s results. It can help you spread positive energy in the entire space.
Here are a few basics of Feng Shui that you should know about!
Table of Contents
- 1 The Basic Elements
- 2 Yin and Yang Energies
- 3 The Bagua Map
- 4 How to Practice Feng Shui in Real Life?
- 5 Final Words
- 6 Is Feng Shui Real and Effective FAQs
The Basic Elements
A common misconception about Feng Shui is that it only has to do with the home’s interior design.
This is certainly not true. It is, in fact, about how the placement of things inside the home affects the flow of energy there. This energy is known as “chi” in Feng Shui terms.
There are mainly five basic elements of Feng Shui:
- Wood– signifies growth
- Fire– signifies passion
- Earth– signifies stability
- Metal– signifies logic
- Water– signifies wisdom
Feng Shui experts believe that these elements interact with each other. When they are balanced out well, they create harmony in the home.
When these are unbalanced, they create a destructive cycle that has a negative effect.
Yin and Yang Energies
Yin and Yang are the Chinese philosophy that talks about opposite energies being there. For example, dark and light or cold and warm.
When opposite energies are present in a space, it tends to create the right balance, which is exactly what you need for harmony in the house.
The Bagua Map
Feng Shui practitioners use the Bagua map to divide a space into nine areas. It is more like a floor plan for the space.
Each of these areas then corresponds to something or certain life experiences, like career, health, wealth, family, luck, and so on.
Once you know these areas, you can then be well informed about where you have to place certain things in the home.
How to Practice Feng Shui in Real Life?
Now that your question “Is Feng Shui real and effective” is answered, here is how you can use Feng Shui in your life to make it more peaceful.
1. Declutter the Space
The first thing you need to do is check if extra things are stored up somewhere in the house.
If you find some things taking up extra space, immediately declutter that area. Feng Shui experts suggest that decluttering can help you with the right energy flow in the right places.
2. Brighten Up the Entrance
The entrance is the mouth of the house. It is the place from where energy flows into the house. So you need to focus on it the most.
- Start by removing anything extra that you see there.
- Next, clean up that area thoroughly and place a nice doormat there to make the area seem more welcoming.
- Ensure that it is lit up well, too, since lighting plays a very important role in Feng Shui.
3. Clean the Windows
You must already know that Feng Shui is all about keeping the space clean. Feng Shui experts place great importance on the windows of the house.
- To ensure a positive flow of energy in the house, you need to make sure that you clean your windows regularly.
- Ensure that there is enough room for sunlight to come in since it is very energizing.
- This makes your home much more vibrant and expansive as well.
4. Pay Attention to the Doors
The doors of your house represent communication. They are the place from where opportunities enter your home. So make sure that you give your doors your utmost attention.
- You first need to check if the doors are functioning well. There should be no creaking sound, and they should be broken from anywhere. If they are, then you need to get them in full working condition at the soonest.
- Next, you also need to make sure that there is no clutter behind the doors so that they can open up fully.
- All of this affects the way that energy comes into your home.
5. Focus on the Commanding Position
Feng Shui experts focus on the commanding position greatly. But what is the commanding position? It is the position where you can see the door without being in line with it.
- You need to apply the principle of the commanding position to your bed, desk, and your stove.
- According to the principles of Feng Shui, being in a commanding position allows you to be in control of your life.
- For example, when you are in your bedroom, the bed must be in a commanding position. This means that you must be able to see the door without any hindrance and without being in line with it.
6. Add Plants to the Home
Plants allow you to establish a connection with nature, which also allows you to be more at peace.
- Plants embody life energy. You can place different pants in your house for vitality.
- However, you need to remember that different plants have different care requirements.
- If you aren’t someone who can maintain them regularly, then look for low-maintenance indoor plants.
- Also, take into consideration the lighting requirements when buying house plants. Some plants need a considerable amount of light to grow every day.
7. Remove Any Obstacles
Make sure that you remove any obstacles that obstruct your path of walking, also called poison arrows.
- Furthermore, if something in the house is not working to its full capacity, make sure that you get that repaired or replaced.
- For example, if a light fixture isn’t working well, or if it is a door that makes creaking sounds, make sure you get it fixed.
8. Offer Gratitude
Last but not least, make sure that you are grateful for what you have. There are a lot of people who don’t have homes to go back to.
- If you have a roof over your head to keep you protected, you are more blessed than millions.
- Acknowledge that and be very thankful for it, too. This is the power of gratitude.
Now that you have learned about Feng Shui and its effectiveness, understand that it is not a magic wand for sure.
You shouldn’t expect a miracle when trying to incorporate Feng Shui into your life. Understand that it is a basic way of living and surely doesn’t work like magic.
It most definitely isn’t a magic wand that will turn things around for you there and then. It is just a way of bringing more peace and wellness to your life if used in the right way.
Is Feng Shui Real and Effective FAQs
Q: Can Feng Shui be proven?
No evidence shows Feng Shui’s effect on our lives. However, people who apply Feng Shui principles to their homes believe that it helps them. They talk about how it has benefitted them.
Q: Approximately how much time does it take Feng Shui to work?
Various Feng Shui consultants have different takes on this. However, we can see that, on average, it takes three months or lesser to see results.
Q: Why do people want Feng Shui?
Feng Shui is all about arranging your home in the right way.
Most people believe in the power of Feng Shui because it has worked out for them very well. It has helped them with harmony in their homes and their lives.
It allows them to direct the energy flow in the right way and focus on creating a bond with the environment, which is extremely crucial.
Q: Can Feng Shui change your life all of a sudden?
Feng Shui is all about providing you with the tools you need to make your life much better.
To increase your overall well-being and happiness, you can use Feng Shui. However, bear in mind that you need to have very realistic expectations.
Q: How do I know if my house is good Feng Shui?
Pay close attention to the way that your house looks and feels. When you walk into your house, you should have a very good vibe.
It should be a very peaceful feeling. That feeling can tell you that you have good Feng Shui in your house. Your house is your safe spot.
So you should feel very relaxed in your house as well.
Feng Shui is a well-researched combination of art and science based on neuroscience principles. Bhawana Rathore is a passionate Feng Shui practitioner. She writes at FengShuitricks.com and helps people to enhance and balance their lives by sharing Feng Shui-related information on FengshuiTricks and YouTube Channel. Check out more. If you find the information useful, you can buy me a coffee here.